The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reccommends having your dryer vent cleaned out at least once per year. HomeSafe believes that there are several factors to consider when determining how often you need your vents cleaned:
- How often is your dryer used?
- Is your dryer over 10 years old?
- Is it fullsize or small stackable dryer?
- Is your vent over 5 feet long?
- Does your vent have several bends or elbow joints?
- Do you have a bird guard covering your exhaust exit?
- I always clean out my lint trap before I dry clothes, do I still need to have my vent cleaned?
While approximately 70% of the lint is caught in your dryer's "lint trap/screen"--the remainder is blown through the dryer and ventilation tubing. Most of that wet, sticky lint gets stuck on the walls of the duct work and just continues to build up over time causing issues and does need to be cleaned.